Tehran Preparing for Conflict
From Amir Taheri, Iran: Macho Talk and Reality.
The Tehran leadership under President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, however, appears confident that it can take on the UN and win.• It has completed “emergency plans to face aggression” and is busy building a network of logistical support facilities in the western and southern provinces.
• Some $3 billion has been added to the regular defense budget in the form of a “supplement for emergency exigencies” under the direct control of the “Supreme Guide” Ali Khamenei.
• The “Supreme Guide” has also created a “High Council of Military Planning” under former Defense Minister Adm. Ali Shamkhani.
• A list of “high priority” sites that might be attacked has been established and their protection against air strikes or ground sabotage operations beefed up.
• Import of “sensitive goods” has been increased to build up stocks to face sanctions.
• The Central Bank of Iran (CBI) has transferred some $8 billion of its assets from the European Union to Asia to forestall the possibility of its accounts being frozen by the EU.• The international network of radical organizations created and supported by Iran has been put on full alert.