1. Syria masses 10,000 troops on Lebanese border, causing nervousness in Lebanon over potential return of Syrian military presence.
2. The al-Qaeda-affiliated Fidayeen-e-Islam has threatened fresh attacks inside Pakistan as a US drone is reported to ahve crashed in the border region. In Bajaur, region of recent Pakistani military operations against AQ and Taliban, a tribal jirga has set up a militia to fight back against Taliban.
3. As Ahmadinejad delivers UN address noting the imminent fall of the US, Russia is running interference for its nuclear program, boycotting - and causing the cancellation of - a top level planned meeting on the situation. At least partly gamesmanship over US stance on Georgia.
4. Yemeni police have arrested members of a terrorist cell said to be connected to the recent US embassy bombing is Sana'a.
5. North Korea has just kicked out UN inspectors from its main nuclear reactor today, and plans to reactivate the plutonium plant when fuel is provided.
RUSSIA RUNS INTERFERENCE ON IRAN NUKE PROGRAM
Russia boycotts key U.N. meeting on Iran - CNN
Russia Won’t Meet With U.S. on Iranian Nuclear Program - NY Times
Top talks on Iran's nuclear program are called off - AFP
Pakistan and Iran make significant progress on gas pipeline - Daily Times
At U.N., Protesters Target Iran On Rights - Washington Post
Iranian president lashes out at U.S., Israel - CNS
Iran's Ahmadinejad Denounces 'Bullying Powers' in UN Address - VOA
Iran ...And a Fourth War - Dar Al Hayat
US offers Pakistan help to protect its sovereignty - Daily Times
US drone crashes in Waziristan - DAWN
Pakistan finds 'U.S. drone wreckage' - CNN
Al-Qaeda linked militants threaten new attacks - AKI
Bajaur residents want Taliban eliminated - Daily Times
Pakistani air strikes on militant tunnels kill 20: officials - AFP
Editorial: Countering Al Qaeda’s ideology - Daily Times
Militants Shake Off Pakistan's Grip, Gain Influence Within Gov't - Asia Times