1. With Marines and the 101st Airborne Division now operating in Afghanistan, US force levels there now top 32,000 and Sarkozy is suggesting France will send more forces.
2. Coalition operations against Special Groups and the rest of the Mahdi Army continue in earnest in Baghdad's Sadr City. Muqtada al-Sadr's Najaf director was assassinated by unidentified gunmen.
3. As the US leaves Ecuador's Manta Air Base, it leaves the door open for a waiting China, which has drastically increased ties and activities in South and Central America and Africa since US engagements in the War on Terror.
4. Israeli military operations in Gaza have continued since Palestinian terrorists killed two civilians after infiltrating an Israeli fuel depot this week. Terrorist breach believed to have been via northern border tunnel.
5. On the energy (and economic) security front, the US Geological Survey has released a report on '3 to 4.3 billion barrels of technically recoverable oil' in North Dakota and Montana.
US Marines say they have begun operations in Afghanistan - AFP
101st Airborne assumes command in Afghanistan - Clarksville Leaf Chronicle
U.S. Troop Levels in Afghanistan Top 32,000 - FOX
France signals further boost to Afghan force - MSNBC
South Korean president keeps focus on mending U.S. ties - IHT
Tuesday Related: What Is Wrong With South Korea? - National Review Online
Top military commanders gather for meeting on defense strategy - Yonhap News