1. Five held in Iraq in connection with suicide bombing targeting US troops. Also, days after Muqtada al-Sadr stepped down, Iraqi police raided Mahdi Army strongholds.
2. Regardless of initial reports, Adm. Fallon's resignation as CENTCOM commander is not seen as a move toward attacking Iran.
3. Operational tempo on both sides increases in Afghanistan. 41 Taliban killed in the south while a suicide bomber killed multiple civilians, UN sending envoy to Kabul.
4. As Haniyeh talks of ceasefire in Gaza, Israel says Hamas offers truce, not peace. Israel also imposing sanctions on al-Jazeera for unfair coverage of the conflict.
5. Energy and Economic Security: As crude oil prices continue to set records, OPEC seen as now operating well beyond past US influence and American ability to nudge production levels.
Five held after suicide bomb attack on US troops in Iraq - AFP
Mahdi Army strongholds raided by police - Washington Times
Rocket fire kills 3 US troops in Iraq - Boston Globe
Images: Anatomy of an IED - The Long War Journal
Algeria: Eight would-be suicide bombers 'headed to Gaza', says report - AKI
In Speech, Hamas' Haniyeh Outlines Terms To Cease Rocket Fire - New York Sun
UPDATE: Gaza Rockets followed by Israeli warplanes end Gaza lull - AFP
Israel to Impose Sanctions on Al-Jazeera - AP
Ashkelon: Israelis bolster new front line with Gaza - CS Monitor
Russia Warns Against Georgia in NATO - Washington Post
Rice, Gates to discuss missile defense, arms control with Russian counterparts - Kyiv Post
Russia to Aid EU Military Mission in Chad - Washington Post