1. Taliban-al-Qaeda forces abduct Pakistani nuclear officials near Peshawar and kill 8 in suicide bombing of liberal Pashtun nationalist party rally in North Waziristan.
2. East Timor president shot in coup attempt prompting state of emergency. Troops, police currently maintaining order in streets as Australia vows more troops in support.
3. Fighting flares in Mogadishu as reports surface of talks between Somali government and Islamic Courts Union insurgents.
4. FBI arrests two in separate Chinese espionage cases involving theft of military, aerospace secrets.
5. North Korea suspected of diverting humanitarian oil aid to military training.
Report: Islamists and Gov't to hold talks in Egypt - Middle East Times
Somali PM Heads to Eritrean Capital - allAfrica.com
Islamic Courts Officials Meet in Southern Somalia - allAfrica.com
UN Suspends Operations Following Attacks on its Mogadishu Compound - allAfrica.com
Police say 49 of ICU's al-Shabab insurgents surrender in Mogadishu - Reuters